The extensive review was performed by our author Nawaar Hassan, barrister at Isaacs Chambers. Like all By Lawyers authors, Nawaar takes a pragmatic approach to practice and procedure in the County Court, drawing on her considerable litigation experience to provide information that will help lawyers confidently represent their clients.
Some of the enhancements to the By Lawyers County Court Civil (VIC) Publication as a result of this review include:
Expanded commentary on –
- Limitation periods.
- Costs disclosure and ensuring costs are fair and reasonable.
- Alternative dispute resolution and settlement.
- Civil Procedure Act obligations.
- Preparing and filing a defence.
New commentary on –
- Electronic filing.
- Calculating time limits.
- Effectively communicating with the court.
- Case management procedure including practice notes and directions.
- Practical tips when briefing counsel.
A new precedent Example content – Consent orders – Discontinuance of proceedings has been added to both plaintiff and defendant guides. All of the existing precedents in the guides have also been reviewed to ensure they reflect current law and practice.
We invite subscribers to explore this publication and to consider the wealth of assistance it offers for lawyers appearing for clients in civil matters in the County Court.