By Lawyers are pleased to announce the publication of a new guide: Retirement Villages – Victoria.
With a separate matter plan, commentary, and precedents, the new guide is now available as part of Conveyancing – VIC on the By Lawyers website, or as a related guide to conveyancing for LEAP users with the exclusive By Lawyers companion product.
The Retirement Villages – Victoria guide focuses on the types of residency rights available. It assists practitioners acting for residents, prospective residents, and village operators.
The commentary discusses all relevant considerations and necessary steps in entering into a retirement village contract, the obligations of residents and operators, ending a contract, and resolution of village disputes. The commentary includes tribunal cases dealing with disputes.
Other commentary highlights include:
• Registered and non-registered residency rights, paying for the retirement village interest, pension considerations and rent assistance for prospective residents.
• The standard form retirement village contract and mandatory documents, including disclosure statements and village rules.
• Stamp duty, goods and services tax (GST), capital gains tax implications, and outgoings.
• Taking occupation, and charges and financial considerations during residency.
• Ending a residency and termination of retirement village contracts, including departure fees, capital sharing, mediation of disputes and Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) procedures, cases and appeals processes.
Helpful new precedents, include:
- Retainer instructions.
- To do list.
- Letter to client providing advice on a retirement village contract.
- Checklist of important considerations for retirement villages.
Practitioners using the Retirement Villages – Victoria guide will also benefit from the By Lawyers conveyancing and property publications: Purchase of Real Property (VIC) and Leases (VIC).