We are very pleased to announce the release of another comprehensive step-by-step guide for Western Australian practitioners, being Traffic Offences WA.
This publication covers all aspects of practice and procedure when acting for the defendant in proceedings involving traffic offences in the Magistrates Court.
The guide assists practitioners with all aspects of representing clients in traffic matters, from providing advice in relation to infringement notices, to going to court. The commentary is practical and easy to understand, with numerous helpful precedents and all current Magistrates Court forms included.
Key content includes:
- Law and procedure relating to licence offences and alcohol & drug offences with an appendix for each category summarising the fine and any disqualification period or gaol term for most common offences. Retainer instructions are included on the matter plan.
- Extensive library of initial letters to client for all BAC and drug driving offences explaining in simple terms the offence, the fine amount and any likely disqualification period or gaol term.
- Practical guidance in preparing for court, with detailed commentary on analysing the charge and conducting plea negotiations. An instruction sheet for guilty pleas is also included on the matter plan.
- Rehabilitation and specific program options are discussed, including the alcohol interlock scheme.
- Client mental health considerations, with a letter of instruction to a psychiatrist or psychologist.
- Example written submissions on sentence.
- Information on appeal rights and time limits.
This guide is an invaluable resource for all practitioners who conduct traffic offence matters in the Magistrates Court, including those with limited experience in this area, or those supervising younger lawyers.