To assist practitioners advising clients who are purchasing off the plan, new precedents have been added to the By Lawyers Purchase of Real Property guides in all states.
The two new precedents for practitioners advising potential purchasers are:
- Initial letter to proposed off the plan purchaser; and
- Enclosure – Considerations when purchasing off the plan.
The Enclosure is designed to be provided to clients who are considering buying off the plan. It provides plain language information about:
- What ‘off the plan’ means.
- The risks of purchasing off the plan.
- The advantages of purchasing off the plan.
All the pertinent considerations for a client looking at entering into a contract to buy a property off the plan are covered. Importantly, the potential risks are clearly explained, including:
- Being locked in until the sunset date.
- Potential for loss if the market deteriorates between the day of sale and the settlement date.
- Special conditions that operate in the developer’s favour.
- Possible dissatisfaction with finished product.
- Changes to the building.
- Additional legal costs being involved.
Both new precedents can be found in folder A. Getting the matter underway, on each Purchase of Real Property matter plan.
These helpful new precedents were created in response to a request from a By Lawyers subscriber.