The By Lawyers Supreme Court Civil (VIC) Publication has been reviewed and updated to ensure that the precedents and commentaries are in line with current law and practice.
The extensive review was performed by our author Nawaar Hassan, barrister at Isaacs Chambers. Like all By Lawyers authors, Nawaar takes a practical approach to practice and procedure in the Supreme Court, drawing on her considerable experience to focus on information that will help lawyers confidently represent their clients and successfully run their matters.
Some of the enhancements to the By Lawyers Supreme Court Civil (VIC) Publication as a result of this review include:
- Expanded commentary on costs disclosure and ensuring costs are fair and reasonable.
- Rationalised commentary on case management procedure including practice notes and directions.
- Expanded commentary on Alternative Dispute Resolution and settlement.
- Practical tips when briefing counsel added.
- Expansion of commentary on Civil Procedure Act obligations.
- New commentary on effectively communicating with the court.
- New commentary on urgent applications.
- Expanded commentary on service, including service overseas.
- Expanded commentary on preparing and filing a defence.
A new precedent ‘Example content – Consent orders – Discontinuance of proceedings’ has been added to both plaintiff and defendant guides. All of the existing precedents in the guides have also been reviewed to ensure they reflect current law and practice.
We invite subscribers to explore this publication and to consider the wealth of assistance it offers for lawyers appearing for clients in civil matters in the Supreme Court.